Can’t I Just Use Polysporin for Tattoo Aftercare?
The days of using Polysporin are long gone. People have become too sensitive by applying steroids and unnatural medications, which over time ended up having more negative impacts than positive ones. You need to give your body art adequate care to ensure it not only heals properly, but looks as vibrant and beautiful as the day you received it. The care could include various types of treatment or, in some cases, just allowing your tattoo to “breathe.”
The healing process is different for everyone, but it takes around two weeks on average. Your tattoo aftercare regime should include:
- avoiding direct sunlight whenever possible, and
- using products to moisturize your skin and ensure the tattoos remain vibrant for a long time to come.
Long-term clients might recall being sent to a nearby drug store to purchase Tattoo Goo! While this definitely does help to heal fresh tattoos fast, we didn’t like the consistency (or, to be frank, the price). Combine that with our passion for handmade lotions and everything natural, and our very own line of natural products was born and named.
Our Proprietary Aftercare Brand
Soapy Penguin is a select range of all-natural, hand-crafted tattoo aftercare products and skincare solutions. As our house brand, the product line was developed by Asia after she spent many weekends taking training classes and researching options.
The Soapy Penguin unscented tattoo lotion contains coconut oil, beeswax, vitamin E oil, shea butter, grapeseed butter, olive butter, aloe butter, and mango butter. That’s a lot of natural butter, but it works! We recommend combining the lotion with natural handmade soap, as we find this combination approach works best.
Please note our tattoo aftercare is not vegan-friendly (given that it contains beeswax, which, while sustainably sourced, our vegan friends understandably avoid). We continue to work on developing a vegan-friendly solution, and are happy to say that we have the formula and are testing it before making it readily available.
In the past year we have sold more than 500 tattoo aftercare kits, which for a handmade product sold only out of our studio is a lot. The solution has been tested extensively by our families, friends and clients, and we stand by our products 100%. In a side by side comparison, people using our Soapy Penguin products healed faster, scabbed less, and protected their tattoos more effectively from infections.
Methods of Aftercare
For your tattoo to heal properly, please follow these guidelines:
- Remove bandage in 4 hours.
- With clean hands, gently wash tattoo with warm water and mild soap (such as Ivory or Dove).
- Allow to air dry or pat dry with a clean paper towel.
- Wash tattoo 3-4 times a day for the first 3 days; remember that it is an open wound, so do your best to keep it as clean as possible.
- When scabbing begins to form, which generally occurs within 2 days, begin applying a thin layer of our Soapy Penguin tattoo aftercare product 2 or 3 times daily.*
- Do not pick or scratch at your tattoo! This could result in color loss, scarring or infection.
- Avoid getting direct sunlight on your new tattoo.
- Avoid swimming and soaking for a few weeks (this also means no baths – showers only).
- If you notice any signs of infection such as redness, pain, or pus, please contact your doctor.
* As an alternative, you can use unscented Lubriderm lotion, and always be sure to wash your hands and tattoo before application.
Get a Sample Today
Stop by either of our two Painted People Tattoo Company locations for a sample, or check out our Etsy shop for online orders and more Soapy Penguin products.
If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to contact your artist or any of our studios – we are here to help.